Thursday, April 23, 2009

I know it is a total cliche, but as my calendar begins to fill up for May I am feeling as though this year has really flown by. Duncan is finishing up his Kindergarten year. While he has not quite learned to tie his shoes yet, he is reading and writing as well as doing some awesome phonetic spelling. He has had an enormous growth spurt this year and is maturing a lot as well as learning to control his frustrations. Riley has had a wonderful year in Ms. Maria's classroom. Their little corner of the school has just been a blessing and a sweet little learning community - I know she will hate to see that end. Darcy is almost done at Grove and is anxious to move on to HCHS and "the big leagues" next year. She has had her first beaux and her first heartbreak this year - grown about 4 inches, and just gets more beautiful with every day. She will be 15 in a few days and yet, I can remember bringing her home from the hospital and have a difficult time reconciling the gorgeous young woman she is today with the nearly bald toddler with bowed legs that she was just yesterday. Chelsea - oh my heavens I can't believe I am about to say this - will be a senior next year. She took her ACT yesterday and has scads of college apps arriving for her to work on over the summer. My sweet, loving, beautiful Chelsea only has about a year left at home before she goes away to college and "the real world". Chelsea is gorgeous inside and out and of all of my babies, has grown the most in the last year. She has really taken on the mantle of young womanhood with grace and poise - she is not a child anymore, although she will always be MY baby.
My children are growing up so quickly and every year I resolve to slow things down a little and enjoy them more. Every year, I get caught up in the 10 million things that we "DO" and a little more time slips by. I think maybe that is part of the beauty of the world - while we are busy with every day things, we grow and learn and laugh and love, and then the tough times fade in our memories while the smiles and laughter remain.
Kiss your babies for me!
TK

No comments: